Cetronia, Greenawalds and Woodlawn firefighters along with South Whitehall police responded to Tilghman Square, 4600 Broadway South Whitehall, Aug. 24 when a contractor struck a gas main at the rear of the complex.
Assisting police with traffic control were Upper Macungie police officers and fire police from the three South Whitehall fire departments.
All businesses in the complex were evacuated until the leak was repaired.
Regina Luciano of Emmaus, former assistant advertising sales manager for The Press, commented on Facebook about the gas leak.
McKenzie Corinn Hagenbuch of Emmaus was crowned the 2018 Great Allentown Fair Queen during The Lehigh County Agriculture Society (LCAS) 10th annual Great Allentown Fair Queen Contest Aug. 12 at Christopher’s Restaurant, 1519 Greenleaf St., Allentown.
She will be introduced at the Allentown Fair opening ceremonies, 5 p.m. Aug. 28, RCN Farmerama Theater on the Fairgrounds’ west end along Liberty Street.
Lehigh County Coroner Scott Grim and Allentown Police Department officials called a news conference on Aug. 17 to unveil updated information and imaging regarding long unidentified skeletal remains.
The remains were discovered 7:15 p.m. April 28, 1991, in a wooded area, 430 feet beyond an access road off Albert Street, Allentown.
An autopsy was performed April 29, 1991, by Dr. Isadore Mihalakis, who determined the remains were of a male between 25 to 35 years of age.
Members of the Trexlertown Grange No. 1755 celebrated the 100th anniversary of the Grange June 22.
Organized Feb. 14, 1918, and chartered on April 1, 1918, the Trexlertown Grange added its voice to that of many other granges throughout Pennsylvania and the nation.
The mission of the Grange is to promote community and family connections, though it was originally started at the end of the Civil War in order to help southern farmers improve their farming techniques.
Parkland High School’s Music Boosters Association was accepting used clothing on May 5 to raise funds for three scholarships.
Clothing is sold by the pound, then either forwarded to Third World countries or repurposed as needed.
Funds are then used for three $1,000 scholarships for musicians in the band, orchestra and chorus.
Forgotten Felines and Fidos, a nonprofit rescue group at 6022 Mountain Road, Germansville, had a cat and kitten adoption day July 21.
The mission of the organization is to reduce the number of homeless and unwanted cats throughout the Lehigh Valley.
Forgotten Felines and Fidos, is an all-volunteer, no-kill organization.
Jordan Lutheran Church, Snowdrift Road, Orefield, helped Christian children learn more about their faith and the role of friendship in their lives.
More than 30 children attended this year’s Vacation Bible School from July 9-13 at the church.
Children from 3 years old to fifth grade were invited to attend and volunteers were encouraged to sign up as well.
The age minimum for a volunteer was they had to be in sixth grade and it ranged all the way up to 99 years old.
Parkland Community Library is providing summer reading activities for youngsters in the Parkland School District this summer.
This year’s Stories in the School summer reading program “Libraries Rock” is geared toward younger children, kindergarten and higher, to encourage them to develop good reading skills during summer vacation.
The Kutztown Folk Festival was the stage for Queen Sharon Billger and her chapter, The Pretty Purple Posies of the Red Hat Society, for Best Red Hat contest.
Using the main stage as their venue, four beautiful ladies, two from as far away as North Carolina, competed for first and second prizes.
Queen Billger of Mertztown, organizer of the event, presented each contestant and asked for an audience response to her Red Hat.
Gauging audience response, Queen Bea Kathleen “Katarina the Red Grape” Trickle of Mars Hill, N.C., was the first-place winner.
The members of Calvary Moravian Church, Allentown, had a summer festival July 14 on church grounds.
The goal of the festival was to reach out to the neighborhood as well as entertain members of the church.
A new addition to the church property is a “Little Library,” built by David Teel, a longtime parishioner of Calvary.
The “Little Library” resembles the shape and bell tower of Calvary Moravian.
Live music, games and treats were offered to fest-goers.